What to Bring With You to File Your Taxes:
Please review the following list carefully before visiting a DABC free tax Preparation Site to ensure that you have all the required documents needed to complete your Federal and State of Colorado tax return:
Personal Information You Need
- A copy of your prior year Federal Tax Return. (May be needed to refer to for prior year filing information.)
- Social Security Cards for yourself, your spouse, and any dependents, if applicable.
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), if applicable.
- Government issued photo identification card such as a driver’s license.
- Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN), if the IRS has mailed one to you for identity theft.
- Bank account and routing number for direct deposit (refund) or direct debit (payment).
- All W-2 (Wage and Tax Statement) forms from all your employers.
- Your spouse’s W-2 forms, if filing jointly.
- All Forms 1099 for you and your spouse (if filing jointly). The most common are:
- 1099-MISC, miscellaneous income paid to you
- 1099-NEC, nonemployee compensation
- 1099-K, Third-party payments for self-employment income , cush as Gig work
- 1099-INT, showing interest paid to you
- 1099-G, unemployment paid to you or any refund, credit or offset of state and local taxes paid to you
- 1099-DIV and 1099-R, showing dividends and distributions from retirement and other plans paid to you
- 1099-C, cancellation of debt
- Forms 1095-A (Health Insurance Marketplace Statement) if you have health insurance through the Marketplace.
- If self-employed, in addition to your 1099-NEC income document(s), download and bring a completed Self-Employment Tax Organizer to show your expenses and business miles.
Expenses and Other Forms
- Any Form 1098-T educational expenses paid to a qualified educational institution (including tuition/mandatory fees and interest paid on student loans).
- If you may be able to Itemize your deductions, bring receipts of your expenses for out-of-pocket medical and dental, property taxes, auto vehicle registration, home mortgage interest, charitable contributions, casualty losses, and other job expenses.
- If you pay a child care provider, the address and Tax ID numbers of the provider(s) (Social Security or Federal ID numbers).
- If you are Amending your tax return, a copy of the original return submitted and any of the above documents that you are correcting.
If you are missing a Form W-2 or 1099
Your employer or the issuing financial institution should be able to provide you with a copy of your missing W-2 or 1099.
If you cannot get a copy from your employer or financial institution, please contact the IRS for assistance. Go to https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript. IRS transcripts do not show state withholding, so contact the Colorado Department of Revenue at (303) 238-7378 to request state W-2s so that we can also file your state taxes.
Get a faster refund with direct deposit
If electronically filing, direct deposit refunds take 10-14 business days, versus 45 days for a paper check. Some DABC Sites can open a bank account for free if you do not already have one. There may be a small fee for initial check order.