What to bring with you
Please review the following list carefully before visiting a DABC free tax SuperSite to ensure that you have all of the documents needed to complete your federal and State of Colorado tax return:
- Your Social Security card, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) or an accurate record of either number;
- Social Security Numbers or ITINs for your spouse and dependents;
- Photo Identification such as a driver's license;
- Your spouse, if filing jointly;
- Identity Protection PIN, if the IRS has mailed one to you for identity theft;
- All Forms W-2 (Wage and Tax Statement) from all your employers for last year;
- Your spouse's Forms W-2, if filng jointly;
- All Forms 1099 (interest, dividends, unemployment compensation, social security, state tax refunds, etc.) for you;
- All Forms 1099 for your spouse. if filing jointly;
- Form 1095-A, if you have health insurance through the Marketplace;
- If you are self employed, your 1099-Misc income documents and a completed Self-Employment Tax Organizer to show your expenses and business miles.
- Your last year's federal and state tax returns, if you kept copies;
- Any year-end bank account statements showing any interest earned;
- Any educational expenses paid to a qualified educational institution (including tuition/mandatory fees and interest paid on student loans);
- If you may be able to Itemize your deductions, bring receipts of your expenses for out-of-pocket medical and dental, property taxes, auto vehicle registration, home mortgage interest, charitable contributions, casualty losses, and other job expenses;
- If you pay a child care provider, the address and Tax ID numbers of the provider(s) (Social Security or Federal ID numbers);
- If you are Amending your tax return, a copy of the original return submitted and any of the above documents that you are correcting;
- Bank account and routing number for direct deposit (refund) or direct debit (payment).
If you are missing a Form W-2 or 1099
Your employer or the issuing financial institution should be able to provide you with a copy of your missing W-2 or 1099. If you cannot get a copy from your employer or financial institution, please contact the IRS for assistance.
Get a faster refund with direct deposit
If electronically filing, direct deposit refunds take 10-14 business days, versus 45 days for a paper check. Some DABC SuperSites can open a bank account for free if you do not already have one. There may be a small fee for initial check order.